Every third Thursday, from July 2023 through June 2024, visitors can receive free admission to Cranbrook Art Museum from 11am–8pm AND Cranbrook Institute of Science from 5–8pm. Cranbrook Art Museum remains free on all remaining Thursdays of each month. Visitors are requested to register in advance to visit Cranbrook Institute of Science via their website. Walk-ins are welcome, but entrance is not guaranteed due to capacity limits.
In August, visitors can participate in:
- Free Drop-in Screen Printing: Create a screen-print on the Peristyle at Cranbrook Art Museum from 5–6:30pm before the Poolside Performance.
- Free Poolside Performance: Debut of Na Bonsai’s graphic score series exploring archetypes of human nature through the lens of awareness, featuring guitar, vocals, sampling and textural instrumentation amid the verdant surroundings of the Cranbrook Art Museum grounds near the Triton Pool from 6:30-7:30pm. RSVP recommended.
- Free Dynomite Trilobites: From 5 to 8pm, Cranbrook Institute of Science guests will be able to get up close and even touch many amazing trilobite fossils and casts. They will also encounter many of the other animals that trilobites lived with such as the fearsome apex predator Mixopterus!
- Free Trilobite Construction Make and Take: From 5 to 8pm, Cranbrook Institute of Science guests can learn about the anatomy of a trilobite while making a detailed model to take home.
The following activities are also available for an additional cost:
- Cranbrook on the Green Artist-Designed Mini-Golf: Located on the grounds outside of Cranbrook Art Museum. The last tickets will be sold at 7:15 p.m.
- Fika Lounge Bar: Beer and wine available for purchase at Cranbrook Art Museum from 4:30–7:30 p.m.
- Acheson Planetarium: At Cranbrook Institute of Science, catch the “Cosmic Mashup” show at 6:00 p.m. or the “Live Sky Show” at 7:00 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the front desk.
Free Third Thursdays is a program sponsored by the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan.