*Please note, Cranbrook Art Museum is not currently accepting new Docent applications due to the dynamic nature of COVID-19.
Volunteer Gallery Docents lead guided weekend tours of the Museum’s exhibitions. This is an exciting opportunity to connect with others who share an interest in art, continue an education in art, craft, and design, and to meet and interact with artists, scholars, Cranbrook curators, and visitors from around the world.
New Gallery Docents must complete a six-month training course and serve six months as a Provisional Docent. The new docent training course consists of twice monthly classes on Saturdays. Classes provide the skills necessary to facilitate meaningful discussion of the Museum’s exhibitions through presentations of modern and contemporary art, selected readings, and in-gallery and in-vault training.
Commitment and Requirements
- Successfully complete the docent training course
- Serve a minimum of one weekend gallery shift per month
- Commit to a minimum of two years as a docent
- Attend 6 (of 10) continuing education sessions annually
- Research artists and art movements as needed for new exhibitions
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with staff, volunteers, and visitors of all ages
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time and lift up to 25 pounds
- Criminal background check
- Maintain e-mail and Internet access
- Strong communication and listening skills in individual and group interactions
- Appreciation and respect for a wide variety of creative processes
- A positive and flexible attitude
- Enthusiasm for representing the Cranbrook community
- Be an ArtMember (Join Now!)